10 Ways on Preventing Rats
- Inspect your home regularly for signs of roof rat infestation such as droppings, gnaw marks, tracks, or burrows. Look in attics and crawl spaces, under decks and porches, around entry points (doors and windows), in garages and sheds, and near any potential food sources (pet food bowls).
- Make sure that all exterior doors are securely sealed with weather-stripping or caulking to help prevent roof rats from entering your home. Repair any holes or cracks in walls or foundations to remove access points for rodents.
3. If you have fruit trees near your house, pick up dropped fruit and other food sources on a regular basis since these can attract roof rats. Remove piles of debris and discard of trash away from the house so that it doesn’t provide easy access to rodents.
4. Trim back tree branches that overhang the house so that roof rats cannot jump onto the building from them. Additionally, eliminate climbing points like trellises and fences near the structure that may be used by these rodents to reach the upper levels of the building more easily.
5. Consider installing rodent-proofing materials like stainless steel mesh over vents or exhaust pipes. Leading into your attic to prevent roof rats from entering through these areas. As well as sealing gaps around utility lines where they might gain access to the attic or walls of your home.
5 More ways on Preventing Rats
6. Place traps throughout areas where activity has been seen if you notice signs of roof rat infestations in your home or business establishment. Make sure they are located away from children and pets since they can cause harm if touched accidentally.
7. Eliminate any standing water sources near your property since roof rats need water for survival. This will force them to look elsewhere for a source rather than coming onto your property to find it themselves. Reducing their population size overall in the area too!
8. Store pet food indoors when not being used rather than leaving it out accessible which can attract mice and other rodents. Also keep bird feeders off the ground so birds are eating what they need without providing an additional food source for unwanted pests nearby!
9. Keep firewood stored at least 20 feet away from buildings since this is a very common spot for shelter by small animals including rodents. Make sure it’s up off the ground too!
10. Regularly inspect outside air conditioning units for signs of damage which could allow easy access into structures. Also clear vegetation away from foundation walls as this provides cover for rodents trying to get inside!
Prevent Problems with Rats by Using Pyramid Pest Control
Easiest way to prevent problems with them in Rutherford County is by partnering with Pyramid Pest Control. We will work with you and find the best program to solve this problem, in no time. Contact us at 615-663-3908 or Get a free quote.