10 Ways on Preventing Silverfish
- Seal any possible points of entry into your home. Silverfish can enter through cracks and crevices around windows, doors, pipes, and vents. Caulk any gaps or cracks in the foundation of the building to keep silverfish out.
- Eliminate moisture sources in the home. Silverfish are attracted to damp places like bathrooms, basements, and laundry rooms. So make sure these areas are well ventilated and moisture is minimized. Also, replace leaky pipes or fixtures. Furthermore, use dehumidifiers to reduce humidity levels in moist areas, and use exhaust fans when showering or cooking.
3. Remove clutter from your home that could provide a hiding spot for silverfish such as piles of paper or cardboard boxes. Keep your storage areas clean and organized with plastic tubs instead of cardboard containers which attract silverfish more easily.
6 Additional ways on Preventing Silverfish
4. Reduce food sources inside your home by regularly vacuuming carpets and floors to eliminate crumbs that can attract silverfish. Store dry goods such as cereals or grains in sealed containers rather than leaving them open on a shelf where they’re more vulnerable to hungry silverfish scavenging for food pieces at night time.
5. Check outdoor landscaping carefully for conditions conducive to silverfish infestations such as damp mulch beds next to the foundation walls of the building which allow easy access into the house by providing shelter and protection from predators.
6. Use natural repellents like essential oils like cedarwood oil or citrus oil spray around doorways or window sills where you suspect silverfish may be entering from outside.
7. Install screens on windows and doorways that have been properly fitted with tight seals around their edges.
8. Replace all kinds of wood debris located near your house such as woodpiles with gravel since wood provides an ideal harborage for silverfish.
9. Utilize sticky traps placed in corners, behind furniture, under sinks etc., so you can monitor how many silverfish are present.
10. Call a pest control professional for advice if you think you have a large infestation.
Prevent Problems with Silverfish by Using Pyramid Pest Control
Easiest way to prevent problems with them in Rutherford County is by partnering with Pyramid Pest Control. We will work with you and find the best program to solve this problem, in no time. Contact us at 615-663-3908 or Get a free quote.